Updated August 2018
Childhood allergies are on the rise. According to research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, twenty-five percent of children have their first allergic reaction at school or while participating in out-of-school activities—such as camp.
Recently, state legislatures have begun to see the importance of allowing camps to obtain and administer epinephrine auto-injectors (*). Thirty-two states have passed legislation to allow an authorized entity, such as a camp, to do just that.
The American Camp Association will continue to advocate for school, camps, and other youth serving programs to have access to these life-saving auto-injectors.
Epinephrine Auto-Injectors are expensive.
Check out grant opportunities!
Current State Laws Regarding Epinephrine Auto-Injectors and Camps
- Alabama : Yes, Under Alabama Law ACT2016-0193
- Alaska : Yes, Under Alaska Law Chapter 52 SLA 10
- Arizona: Yes, Under Arizona Law HB2265 CH 85
- Arkansas: Yes, Under Arkansas Law Act 1108
- California : Yes, Under California Law AB 1386
- Colorado: Yes, Under Colorado Law 25-47-101
- Florida: Yes, Under Florida Law 381.88
- Georgia: Yes, Under Georgia Law SB 126 (Act 56)
- Idaho : Yes, Under Idaho Law Title 54, CH 17 Section 54-1733C
- Illinois : Yes Under Illinois Law Public Act 099-0711
- Indiana: Yes, Under Indiana Law IC 16-41-43-4
- Iowa: Yes, Under Iowa Law SF 462 135.185
- Kentucky: Yes, Under Kentucky Law 16 RS HB 148/EN
- Maine: Yes, Under Maine Law 1.22 MRS c. 423
- Maryland: Yes, Under Maryland Law 10.16.07.15
- Michigan: Yes, Under Michigna Law 333.17744a
- Minnesota: Yes, Under Minnesota Law 34.144.999
- New Jersey : Yes, Under New Jersey Statute 26
- New York: Yes, Under New York Law §3000-c
- Nevada : Yes, Under Nevada Law Chapter 127
- North Carolina: Yes, Under North Carolina Law 2015-274
- North Dakota: Yes, Under North Dakota Law 23-01-05.2
- Ohio: Yes, Under Ohio Law 5101.76
- Oklahoma: Yes, Under Oklahoma Law SB 542
- Oregon: Yes, Under Oregon Law 433.825
- Rhode Island : Yes, Under Rhode Island Regulation R23-6.4-EPI
- South Carolina: Yes, Under South Carolina Law 44-99-10
- Tennessee: Yes, Under Tennessee Law PC0805
- Utah: Yes, Under Utah Law 26-41-104
- Virginia : Yes, Under Virginia Law Chapter 247
- Washington : Yes, Under Washington Law 70.54 RCW.
- West Virginia: Yes, Under West Virginia Law HB2648
- Wisconsin : Yes, Under Wisconsin Act 133
All other states, including Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico, do not currently allow camps to obtain and administer an emergency stock of epinephrine.
*An Epinephrine auto-injector provides an emergency injection ("shot") of epinephrine. It is a medicine used for life-threatening allergic reactions such as severe swelling, breathing problems, or loss of blood pressure. Allergic reactions can be caused by stinging and biting insects (bugs), allergy injections, food, medicines, exercise, or unknown causes.